Orange Cake + two different frosting!

11/26/2014




For months (and this I'm certain about), I have been on the hunt for an orange cake recipe.

I almost gave up because how hard could it be to find a legit orange cake recipe? One that's easy too!

Or maybe I'm not really good at research because this gem of a recipe from Food52 was posted 5 years ago.

It has been there for 5 freaking years! Just waiting for me to discover its goodness!

To all my fellow Shadowhunters out there, yes, I just used the word 'gem'. *wink*

The awesome woman who brought you and me this recipe calls it Pioneer-style Orange Cake . 'Pioneer-style' because she 'mixed it all by hand', she explained.




The first time I made this cake, I used ponkan/tangerine instead of orange because that was what we had that time.  The taste was very faint and it was almost like a plain butter-ish cake but it was still yummy!

I also made cream cheese frosting though not the one that came along with the recipe.  That frosting recipe calls for sour cream and I didn't have any then.

'But the cake asks for sour cream too!'.

Yeah, I know. I used buttermilk instead. Now I'm no pro but I don't think buttermilk would be good for frosting, no?

Anyhoo! Here's the first orange cake I made with cream cheese frosting.




I have a small tub of rainbow nonpareils. Why not use them with everything, right?

And you bet that that cream cheese frosting was rich!

For the second time that I made this cake, I used oranges. The legit ones.

And boy oh boy! Did the taste improve big time!




Though for this second one I used a different frosting because I still haven't recovered from how rich that cream cheese frosting turned out in the first cake.

Yvonne Ruperti's One Bowl Baking book provided me with both frosting I used when I made these cakes the first and second time. I love that book so dearly. I browse through it daily; making lists of what recipe I should try next.

Exciting times, huh?


Both frosting recipes are from the book, One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes For Delicious Desserts book by Yvonne Ruperti


Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (I used less cream cheese and butter than what the original recipe called for)

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a bowl, (basically) whisk all the ingredients together until everything is mixed and the color has turned a pale shade. I'd say this would make about a cup of frosting.

Note: It's a very rich frosting.


Sugar Frosting (in the book it's called Sweet and Simple White Frosting)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
3 cups confectioners' sugar
4 to 6 tablespoons heavy cream

Mix together the butter, vanilla extract and salt first before adding the confectioners' sugar gradually. Yvonne suggested to add only 4 tablespoons of heavy cream first and then whisk. If the frosting is already in the right consistency, it's good to be used. If not, add the remaining cream and whisk until desired consistency is reached.




If you ask me, this cake will taste just as good even without frosting.  Did I say it was also very easy to make? No? Well, it is very easy to make!

I hope your days is/will be/was as bright as the tangerines and oranges in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS