Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

4/17/2015

I think it's a given that when you bake cookies, your kitchen will smell heavenly.




These?

Soo cinnamon-y and butterscotch-y!

Yep, that's how our kitchen smelled like when these finished baking.




I've been meaning to bake oatmeal cookies for quite sometime now and finally got the chance (and ingredients) to do so!

I recently purchased Sally McKenney's book and as per usual I highly recommend you visit her blog and get the book itself because it's filled with delicious, doable recipes!




I chose to make this specific cookie from the book because we've had this bag of quick-cooking oatmeal and butterscotch chips just laying around, unnoticed and unused.

And then it's just like fate because this recipe uses both!




These cookies are soft as clouds and I am not exaggerating.

This one definitely made me look forward to trying out other oatmeal recipes because there's still a few I want to give a go!


Oatmeal Scotchies (Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies)

* recipe is from Sally McKenney's book, Sally's Baking Addiction
* so let's just state the obvious: This is not my own recipe!


What you'll be needing:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 cup butter, softened to room temperature (I used unsalted!)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup dark brown sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

3 cups quick-cooking oats

1 1/4 cups butterscotch chips


What you'll be doing:

Take your first four dry ingredients (flour, baking, salt and ground cinnamon) and whisk them in a bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl, cream the butter until smooth and then add both sugars and beat again until well incorporated.  Then add the eggs and pure vanilla extract; beat again.  Don't forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl and make sure everything's getting mixed!

Take your dry ingredients and gradually add to the wet ingredients, mixing slowly in between but only until everything is combined.  Then take the oats and gradually mix those to your dough and from this point you can do this with the help of a spatula or wooden spoon.  Do the same with the butterscotch chips.  Just remember to not over mix!

When everything is well incorporated, cover and put the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.

And then after preheat your oven to 350F and start scooping!

I used a tablespoon to scoop out dough balls and place them on cookie sheets with just enough spaces in between each one.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (I baked mine for only 8!) and Sally said that the cookies will be very soft and underbaked and indeed they were so patience, my friend, and let them cool in the cookie sheets for 10 minutes before they cool on wire racks.

Since I used a tablespoon, I made around 40+ cookies!

According to Sally, these oatmeal scotchies will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.




This is a different cookie for my family and I because we usually go for chocolate chips and tend to pass up the oatmeal ones.

But this one sure changed how we view oatmeal cookies because it's not too sweet, soft (but not so that the cookie will crumble when held) and the butterscotch is just pure delight in every bite!

I just rhymed.  I always get a big kick whenever I rhyme and actually make sense. Haha!






And forgive me but I tried arranging the cookies and they're supposed to resemble a flower.

So whether that looks like a flower or not is up to you but I do hope you'll try this recipe sometime!

Til the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS