Matcha Pistachio Pound Cake

12/10/2015

One afternoon, my mom and I were at a coffee shop.  I ordered their tiny chocolate chip cookies (emphasis on tiny) and a soda while my mom got a matcha muffin and tea.

I didn't think it was a legit matcha muffin because it wasn't green.  I took a bite.  Then another.  Oh my glob.  The muffin itself was lovely and tender and had a very faint aftertaste of something good (clue: it's the matcha doing its thang). Needless to say, I liked it very, very much.




That very day I announced (mentally) that I shall bake anything matcha as soon as possible!

I am writing this for you, fellow matcha fan.  If you've been smitten by this flavor (and color!!) because everyone who has tried it cherishes it, and you'd like to know why but you're a bit unsure which matcha recipe you should try first...don't worry I got you.

Here, have a slice or two (or three, I'm not going to judge you) of the Molly Yeh's matcha pound cake.






I admit I was taken aback by how much matcha powder the recipe asks for (2 tablespoons!!).  I have never used matcha before but I had (still do) full faith in Molly.  She knows all the good and delicious stuff.  Then I opened my first ever packet of matcha powder and it had a note that said to use only about 3 to 4 teaspoons of the powder for regular 8 and 9-inch cakes.

What would you do if you were in my place?  Who would you listen to?  Molly or the note?




In the end, I used only 3 teaspoons of the powder.  And!  After tasting and eventually finishing my first slice, I wish I just stuck with the recipe.  It tasted just like our favorite pistachio ice cream which, if you must know, is absolutely delish.  But this pound cake should taste more matcha than anything else, right?  Molly, forgive me!  I'll bake this again and make it right!  Two tablespoons of matcha powder it will be!




3 teaspoons of matcha powder will give you this subdued pistachio-y hue to your pound cake.  Have you seen Molly's? Ha!  Regally green that one is!

Ladies and gentlemen, this pound cake is a winner.  If for some reason, you decide to forgo the matcha bit, you'll still end up with what could be one of the best pound cakes you'll ever bake.  And eat, most importantly.  The cake itself is so...smooth!  Is it right to describe cake as smooth?  Please, just give this recipe a go and you'll find out why it's smooth.  It just is!




I added half a cup of chopped pistachios into the batter because while I was looking for recipes that use matcha, I saw at least 2 (okay, maybe more than that) that had pistachios.  You can absolutely leave it out but would you like to hear my recommendation? Don't.

But!!  If you're allergic or out of said nut or just don't like the idea of it, by all means, leave it out.  But look at how beautiful the green tinged nut goes with the green tinged cake!




In the recipe, a simple, almond-flavored glaze is poured on top.  I added a few pinches of matcha powder to mine but didn't glaze the entire cake because I know my family would appreciate a plain cake more than a glazed one.  If you prefer a not-too-sweet pound cake, don't make the glaze.  But if you want it real sweet, the glaze will surely satisfy your sweet tooth!

So get out the matcha powder and get baking!

Tell me if you did the entire two tablespoons of matcha and if you added pistachios or not!

Til the next post!

2 comments:

  1. Making it today - but concerned - no baking powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Marie! Sorry for not being able to reply immediately. I had no issue regarding the lack of baking powder in the recipe :) did you make it already? How did it go? Hope it went well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS