Chocolate-y Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting

3/28/2015

The month of March is almost up but before it closes officially let me present this long overdue post about my favorite cupcake flavor ever.

Chocolate.



And since it has been more than two weeks since my last post where I talked about Liliw, I'll try to make this post short.

But alas you and I both know that is near impossible!




These super chocolate-y cupcakes in the photo above? I discovered the recipe through the wonder that is Molly Yeh's blog.

You really should check out her blog and bookmark it too so you'll always find your way back when you need a view of beautiful photos of food!

This 'super rich chocolate cupcakes' recipe is much loved by Molly and that's enough for me to give it a go and I sure am glad I did!




To anyone who adores chocolate cupcakes, this one's for you.  Moist, brimming with chocolate goodness and the ingredients you need are all readily available at the market.

Or maybe you already have them in your pantry and if you do, start baking, friend!

Since this was my first time trying out this cupcake recipe I had no idea how the taste and texture would be. But judging by the name 'super rich chocolate' I decided that the frosting should be light and not too sweet.




Waltzes in Joy The Baker and her amazing second book, Homemade Decadence.

Okay she didn't really waltz in our kitchen but there's a recipe in the book of a whipped cream frosting and basically she said it's like eating ice cream.

Ice cream in frosting form.  Are we registering that in our minds?  Because don't you say 'it's just whipped cream' because it is not just whipped cream! It's ice cream frosting!


Whipped Cream Frosting (that's actually soft serve ice cream, trust me.)

* makes about 3 1/2 cups
* recipe from Joy Wilson's book, Homemade Decadence.

What you'll be needing:

1/4 cup powdered sugar*

3 cups heavy cream

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of any flavoring/extract you'd like (I used chocolate, Joy The Baker used mint.)

What you'll be doing:

If you have an electric stand or handheld mixer, it's preferable that you use one because a good amount of beating is required for this frosting to achieve soft peaks and be spreadable and used for piping atop cupcakes or cakes.

So in a large bowl beat the powdered sugar, heavy cream, pure vanilla extract, and your choice of flavoring/extract on medium speed until there are soft peaks.

Note:

* In the recipe you can see that it asks for 1/4 cup of powdered sugar but mine wouldn't firm up and form soft peaks even after a good few minutes of continuous beating.  So I added more and used 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in the end.

* Also, in the book it said you could add chopped dark chocolate and really any other bits you'd enjoy in your ice cream but I didn't add any.

* Another thing to consider is if you live in a tropical country or any place where it can get quite humid, I suggest that you freeze the frosting for 10 minutes before using and for a few minutes in between piping cupcakes or else it won't hold its shape!






I wasn't able to take any photos of the 23 other cupcakes so we'll do with just one for now, yes?

Trust me about this combo because everyone liked it! Heck, even my grandparents did!

Til the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS